Verisk Health - Efficiency Rules!

Verisk Health had a flagship product in need of a few course corrections. It was my job to navigate these waters and chart a new map!

Starting off with a disclaimer: My work in this area is protected by nondisclosure agreements, and as a result, I cannot show my work in graphical format or talk about it in detail. That being said, I will do my best to outline my procedure and research in this project.

The Challenge

Healthcare in America today has one overriding characteristic, and that is an abundance of data. The ability to process through this data to find meaningful action points is something that many businesses strive for. When you have data points and actions that require human interaction, that's when things start to slow down. The challenge was to improve the interface enough that processing efficiency could be increased, which would then have a cumulative effect on the company overall. It was also very important to recognize the role that long-term use and memorized workflows had on efficiency, and to disrupt those as little as possible while reorganizing screens and information.

The Process

Although some preliminary data existed in the form of completed surveys, I wanted to really dig in to the user experience for my own education about the software and how it was being utilized. Uniquely, since most of the users were in-house, I was able to do a series of ride-alongs with the different user types to help parse the preliminary data more finely. I also did intensive user interviews to deepen my understanding of the product and the needs of the people using it. Due to the dense complexity of health care information, there was a lot of knowledge to absorb, and my interaction with the users was critical in not only teaching me about the interface but also in what their needs were, to be able to make it better.

The User Experience

Using all of the collected information, I was able to identify major pain points that were common among the users and that provided a great starting point for the interface redesign effort. One complaint was the need for the data to be presented in a single-glance interface for faster visual processing. To this end, I developed an interface that divided the data into view-only and interactive sections. In this way, the points identified as critical to decision-making were in the upper left of the screen, and the other sectors contained information that could change based on the record selected. During my time with Verisk, I expanded on this concept to create additional templates to interact with the very dense levels of information that modern health care generates.

The Lab

Another unique feature of my time at Verisk was the ability to build out a comprehensive user testing lab using one of the training rooms. As a result I was able to coordinate an ongoing user testing program which allowed me to do A/B split tests, group comparison, and detailed analysis of changes to the interface. I was able to include all of the different departments in this testing, including remote users, managers and analysts. These tests were on a two-week rotating schedule which followed each major development sprint. Using the Morae software suite, I could record sessions for later analysis, and could capture user errors or interface difficulties in video format, which I could then pass on to the development team. During the four ears that I spent at Verisk, I can say that this was a huge opportunity to really dig in to the UI/UX process and perfect my understanding of it.